Next Spring Break (March 28-April 2) we will visit the Happiest Place on Earth, Disney World in Orlando, Florida.
- We'll have a chance to perform in "Festival Disney", where we can perform for tremendous clinicians and compete against the best choirs in the country!
- We'll take part in the "Disney Sings" performing arts workshop, where students will get to record an excerpt from a Disney animated feature film's soundtrack and learn audition skills, vocal techniques and more under the guidance of a professional Disney vocalist.
- We'll visit the Disney World parks and Universal Studios, home of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter!
- You won't need to commit to anything until September 16 when the initial deposit will be due.
- This trip will be available to any student enrolled in BHS choir classes during the 2016-17 school year. Tell your friends!
- We will need a few parent chaperones to travel with us. Please think about joining us!
- Please check the flyer below for more details.
I hope your summer is going great! Even so, I'm excited to get to work with you all this August! Here are some details about our August rehearsals:
- Monday, August 8: 4:30-8 pm: Swings & Legacy, focus on vocals
- Tuesday, August 9: 12-3 pm: Swings choreography rehearsal
- Tuesday, August 9: 4:30-8 pm: Legacy choreography rehearsal
- Wednesday, August 10: 12-3 pm. Legacy choreography rehearsal
- Wednesday, August 10: 4:30-8 pm. Swings choreography rehearsal
- Thursday, August 11: 12-3 pm: Swings choreography rehearsal
- Thursday, August 11: 4:30-8 pm: Legacy choreography rehearsal
- Friday, August 12: 10 am - 4 pm: Swings & Legacy, rehearse separately & together, ending with a demonstration of the week's work for each other. Note: we'd like to have lunch together on Friday, so we'll need some parent volunteers willing to help out. Please see the Show Choir section within the volunteer section of the newsletter!
Put another way, here are the time commitments for each group:
Legacy: Monday, 4:30-8; Tuesday, 4:30-8; Wednesday, 12-3; Thursday, 4:30-8; Friday, 10-4.
Swings: Monday, 4:30-8; Tuesday, 12-3; Wednesday, 4:30-8; Thursday, 12-3; Friday, 10-4.
As always, please see the Calendar page on BataviaMusic.org, as that page will get updated. Click the ensembles you are interested in to see their calendar.
Volunteers needed for 2016-17!
I could use some help with some of our big plans for this upcoming school year! I can't do all of this by myself!
Festival of Carols: (December 8-10)
This event was a big hit last year, and I can't wait to get started again! Chamber and Treble Choir students are primarily involved, and we will once again be bringing in actors from our improv team to serve as peasant/servers/comedians!
- This person will focus on the big picture, and will support the other volunteers and make sure that we are all on track.
- Food prep:
- We will need a few additional people per night to help set up our food. No special cooking skills are required, we just need helpful hands! These people may be asked to help run a few errands in the week leading up to the performances.
- We will need a few additional people to help with fittings, alterations, as well as check-out and check-in of our costumes.
- We'll need people to decorate Shannon Hall, and help make it magical! While most of this group's work will involve set-up and tear-down for the performance itself, a few people will need to help plan the decorations, and prep everything so it is ready to go.
- Team leader needed!
- It became clear last year that we'll need to change our ticketing procedure. We'll need one person to focus on this issue.
We never have enough pictures or video of our performances! I'd love to be able to share more pics & video on our website, social media, or YouTube.
- Historian: a parent willing to take photo & video recordings of our concerts, performances, and competitions (on-stage and backstage), but also willing to help collect photos and videos taken by other people.
Ms. O'Neill and I are off to a great start on the plans for the 16-17 season. One of the changes that we'd like to implement is to have more parent help in a few specific areas:
- We have a parent will to help coordinate in this area, but we'd like to have a few more parents willing to help with alterations, check-out and check-in for our costumes.
- We will need 3-5 chaperones per competition. These chaperones will need to ride the bus with us out to each competition, and will help us as "go-fers" throughout the day. Ideally, one of the chaperones will have a medical background, but it is not required.
- Meals: There will be a few times (lunch on Friday, August 12 is the first such time) that I'd like to feed the kids during a rehearsal or special event. You don't have to provide the food, but it we could use the help of people willing to set up our food orders, or coordinate a pot-luck.
Once again, we'll need ushers at all of our concerts. Please help with at least one of them!
Here are our dates:
- Wed, October 19 (Fall Concert)
- Wed, November 30 (Kaleidoscope)
- Feb 21, 22, & 23 (BHS Music Week)
- Tues, Feb 28: Showtime (Show choirs and Chromatics)
- Wed, May 10: Final Choir Concert
If any of these roles sound like areas you'd be willing to contribute, please let me know! We'll use Sign-up Genius when the role calls for it. In the meantime, let me know if you have any questions!
- On Saturday, October 1, BHS will host the professional chamber choir Cor Cantiamo as they run their annual ILMEA audition workshop. Members of Chamber Singers are encouraged to attend, and students from many area schools will also be attending.
- The image above is from Cor Cantiamo's worksop at Naperville North High School two years ago. See any familiar faces?
- Since we are hosting this event this year, I will likely need a couple volunteers to help make everything go smoothly.