Here's this week's newsletter. Key points and new information are in bold type.
A link to each post will be sent through the choir Twitter and Facebook accounts, to whatever parent emails are listed in PowerSchool, and to the students through Google Classroom.
The beginning section will always be about curricular choir and the subsequent information will pertain to our many extracurricular activities, so you only need to read what applies to your student. The most updated and comprehensive calendar is always on bataviamusic.org.
- Want to hear something from the concert again? Check out the recordings page! Over break, I'll be updating it with recordings from Kaleidoscope, the Festival of Carols and the WLS radio performance.
- MusicTheory.net assignments. These online assignments are not timed, allowing students to move at their own pace. Choir students have very wide range of prior knowledge, so by using an online trainer we are able to get support for the kids who need it while providing a review opportunity for students who are more experienced in music theory. MusicTheory.net assignments are accepted late without penalty. Also, students can always try multiple times to get a better score!
- Check marks in the Gradebook: If your student has a check mark in place of a number for any given assignment, that means that the assignment HAS been turned in. Check marks do not affect the grade in any direction. If the assignment is missing, there will be a zero there. Zeros do affect the grade, quite strongly. Once I have had a chance to update the grades, I will move them from a check mark to whatever number is merited. I try to update MTN assignments every weekday. SRF assignments can go longer between updates. I also indicate (a little red L) if an assignments is late. SRF assignments are docked two points (about 6%) for being late. MTN assignments are not affected by being late. MTN's can always be attempted multiple times as necessary (See above).
- Turn in your video selfies! Every choir has recorded a video selfie of a concert song. Make sure they get uploaded to the Classroom!
- Take a breath! In the last 2 1/2 weeks, we have had dozens of performances by BHS choir groups. This included the Kaleidoscope concerts (with all 145 choir kids), the Festival of Carols, field trips to Elementary Schools, and caroling at retirement homes. We capped it off today with a performance on WLS 890 am!
- Please send me any video, audio, or photo recordings you may have. I'd love to share them! I'll be processing them and uploading them to this website and our social media pages over break. In the meantime, please check out what's already up on the Facebook page or the Choir recordings page.
- We just had an amazing set of performances at the Congregational Church of Batavia. Thanks to Mrs. Kimberly Lescelius for her tireless work organizing this event! Thanks also to the dozens of volunteers who decorated, prepped food, cleaned up, etc., etc, etc.
- Willing to help plan for 2017? A head start will help smooth everything out for next year. If you have ideas for next year's event, or if you are willing to help coordinate, please let me know! It can't happen without you!
All BHS choir after-school rehearsals, events, and performances will be posted and updated on the Batavia High School Music Department website, found at: www.bataviamusic.org. This is the best resource for staying updated on concerts, rehearsals, and other events for the music program.
2016-2017 Choir Events and Performances
(Attendance at performances/events are REQUIRED for all BHS choir students unless otherwise specified):
Tuesday, February 21 BHS Music Festival- Concert 1 (Chorale)
Wednesday, February 22 BHS Music Festival- Concert 2 (Treble & Varsity)
Thursday, February 23 BHS Music Festival- Concert 3 (Chamber)
Wednesday, May 10 Spring Choir Concert
2016-2017 Other Important Dates:
Tuesday, February 28 Showtime! (BFAC performance for show choirs and Chromatics)
Possible Showtime date change to Monday, 3/6: Updates coming soon.
March 28-April 2 Choir tour to Disneyworld
Tuesday, May 2 BHS Senior Music Honors Night