Here's this week's newsletter. Key points and new information are in bold type.
A link to each post will be sent through the choir Twitter and Facebook accounts, to whatever parent emails I have on file, and to the students through Google Classroom.
The beginning section will always be about curricular choir and the following information will pertain to the extracurricular activities, so you only need to read what applies to your student. The most updated and comprehensive calendar is always on bataviamusic.org.
- Assignments: We had a large number of assignments recently, but most students are current. If your student's grade has fallen recently, ask about their GLE 6A & 6B, or contact me for details.
- Difficulty level progress in SRF (Updated 4/8): Our average difficulty level keeps climbing! The average level for all 125 students moved from 1.26 in the first week up to 3.13 on the most recent assignment. Very few students are at level 1 (though, I'm happy they are if it is the appropriate challenge for them!), and many students are regularly working at level 4 or even 5. SRF has 6 possible levels, so there's plenty of room to grow, even for our most advanced singers. Here are some breakdowns: All 9th graders are averaging 2.77, Varsity is 2.28, Treble is 3.41, and Chamber is 5.15.
Auditions for the 2016-17 Show Choirs will be held this May, during the week of May 10-13. You'll learn the dance on Tuesday, sing a song (video-recorded) during a 5-minute time slot on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, and demonstrate the dance on Friday afternoon. We hope to get a jump on next season!
Details to follow, but for now, save the date!
St. Charles Singers would like to invite BHS choir students to participate in a one day clinic - Sing! - on July 21, 2016 in St. Charles. Participants work in ensembles of about 9 -12 students conducted by members of St. Charles Singers to learn two songs. All ensembles also learn two songs to perform in the "All Sing". After a short dinner break they will perform a community concert that same night. Solo coaching sessions are available; 4 of those participants will be chosen to perform their solo at the concert.
Brochures, applications, as well as an informational poster are here. This will be our sixth Sing! and the students are LOVING the experience. We will welcome 90 students this year. The soprano section fills quickly and there is a limit of 25 students per section. We would appreciate your help in letting your students know about this opportunity. Print any of the materials or contact us and we can get hard copies to you. Students can also go to the website to print an application and get a copy of the brochure at www.stcharlessingers.com, then click "SING 2016" in the
Scholarships available for those with financial need, just ask!
The St. Charles Singers will conclude its 2015-16 season with "Choral Eclectic", a bold performance during which the choir will traverse seven centuries of song. They will be performing on April 17 at Baker Memorial United Methodist Church in St. Charles.
A concert highlight will be Thomas Tallis's rarely heard English Renaissance motet "Spem in Alium" (Hope in any other) with 40 individual voice parts. Another highlight will be Orlando di Lasso's passionate madrigal "Si Ch'io Vorrei Morire", which the BHS Chamber Singers performed in February.
For Concert tickets and information, visit www.stcharlessingers.com or call 630-513-5272.
The Buffs are giving away money! Read below to find out how to get your share!
- General Scholarship Info Page: https://www.bataviamusicbuffs.org/scholarships/
- Scholarship Policies: https://www.bataviamusicbuffs.org/scholarship-policies/
- General Apply Online Page: https://www.bataviamusicbuffs.org/apply-online/
- Direct Link to Summer Camp Scholarships Online Application: http://www.bataviamusicbuffs.org/batavia-music-buffs-residential-summer-camp-scholarship-application/
- Direct Link to Gertrude Petit Collegiate Online Application: http://www.bataviamusicbuffs.org/gertrude-petit-memorial-scholarship-application/
- Apply By Mail Page: https://www.bataviamusicbuffs.org/apply-by-mail/ NOT PREFERRED.
Application deadline is April 25th. 1st Checks will be needed by May 3rd for 1st of the final year end concerts.
I'd like to take a moment to talk about our Color Guard and their auditions coming up in early May.
Our Color Guard is part of the Marching Band at BHS and performs with them at all competitions and performances throughout the summer and fall. Our season begins in late July and ends at the end of October. An example of what color guard does is linked below from their Winter season, where the color guard performs by themselves. I encourage you to watch the entire short video - it gets really good at the end! We were very successful this season - placing 1st or 2nd at every competition and earning 2nd Place in class throughout the Midwest.
We want to encourage anyone that is interested in joining the Color Guard to come to the very informal audition dates on May 3rd and 5th from 4:00-5:30 in the Band Room at BHS. No experience is necessary and we cut no one from the group. This is your chance to try out color guard and see if it is right for you - there is no commitment to join after the audition.
So come out and see what Color Guard is all about! Bring a friend! Come join a successful and growing program! This is your chance to make lifelong friends through the arts, grow as a performer, and walk into high school with 120 new friends on the FIRST day of school!
Information on sign-ups and Marching Band (Color Guard) is located here:
We're looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks!
- Tuesday, May 3: Spring Choir Concert, 7:30 pm (Please note the start time)
- Tuesday, May 17: Music Senior Awards night
- Wednesday, May 18: Graduation Ceremony (Graduates, plus a few additional singers, will sing the National Anthem